BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Local > SMU
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Macarto

Macarto has a neutral reputation
Default Interview Dress Code

Ladies and Gentlemen,

There has been a debate over the dress code for Undergradate University interviews. To people whom have actually gone for the interviews, may i ask what did you guys wear to the interview and were you overly dressed as compared to the rest or were the rest as casual/formal as you guys were.

It would be great for responses to be as detailed and comprehensive for people who have yet to go for their interviews.
Macarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
Tencharacters

Tencharacters has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarto View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

There has been a debate over the dress code for Undergradate University interviews. To people whom have actually gone for the interviews, may i ask what did you guys wear to the interview and were you overly dressed as compared to the rest or were the rest as casual/formal as you guys were.

It would be great for responses to be as detailed and comprehensive for people who have yet to go for their interviews.
For Guys:
Top: Shirts/Polo Tees(SUIT w or w/o TIE IS OVER-DRESS)
Bottom: Pants/Jeans
Shoe: Sneakers/Black Shoe
Tencharacters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
huanghuien

huanghuien has a neutral reputation

seriously?!
But the dress code is formal! How can you walk in with a polo tee and sneakers?
huanghuien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
huanghuien

after reading some of the threads, I get the impression that the previous years were more lax on the dress code.
Eh (so paiseh to say >.<) , my boyfriend's been for bout 5 interviews (sia, mindef, some other scholarship things, smu biz, nus today) and he said it's actually quite formal. There were a few overkills with suits and stuff but he seemed to give me the impression that it's more impressive than overkill-ish. Either ways, he said indefinitely a proper collar long sleeve shirt and proper pants for guys. He didn't talk bout shoes but I think we get the picture(:
For girls, I'm not so sure though since the range is quite big again. Was hoping to have some light shed here in this forum!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

For girls:
try an office skirt/pants and blouse. Keep the colours simple as far as possible (colours like orange are generally a no-no); you can't go wrong sticking to black-and-white.

Hair neat, can be up or down, no flashy hairclips or dangling earrings.

If you're going for SMU, I suggest you wear a long-sleeve shirt as I've heard it can be cold. (Suggestion only.)

That should be okay as "formal".
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Macarto

Macarto has a neutral reputation

Yes, I am surprised or rather appalled by the suggestion of wearing a Polo T-shirt accompanied by Jeans and Sneakers. I wonder if the guy actually got out casted straight away or was he the outstanding one among all his fellow panel interviewees.

Anyway I guess the Proper Dress Code should be at least a Long sleeve shirt with Business Pants. What about Ties, are they included or is it alright without it?
Macarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
huanghuien

thank you!

Is it really true that open toe shoes aren't formal though?

And ties aren't necessary at all(:
Old 04-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Haecceity

Haecceity has a neutral reputation

Ties aren't necessary.

Open toe shoes: I'm getting the image of sandals/slippers/flip flops - all a definite NO. I suggest that you try wearing court shoes - those would definitely be suitable.
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
donovan

donovan has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencharacters View Post
For Guys:
Top: Shirts/Polo Tees(SUIT w or w/o TIE IS OVER-DRESS)
Bottom: Pants/Jeans
Shoe: Sneakers/Black Shoe
Polo tees for an interview? Suit overdress?

Hahaha! This guy's definitely a loser.

Last edited by donovan; 04-15-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention jeans and sneakers. And what's with black shoes?
donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
Tencharacters

Tencharacters has a neutral reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by donovan View Post
Polo tees for an interview? Suit overdress?

Hahaha! This guy's definitely a loser.
(No offense meant) Clearly you don't sound very educated, so much for criticising Singapore's education system and boasting your "overseas degree". No educated man out there would use sweeping words or make sweeping statements. To quote you, "definitely a loser".
There's absolutely nothing wrong with turning up with polo tees because they stated "Smart Casual". I turned up in a shirt, working pants and shoe myself. But there were interviewees from the 2 rounds for interviews (including the one before mine) who turned up with polo tees, jeans, sneakers and they are from HC/VJ/NJ with straight As. There's absolutely no need (or that we don't see a need) to dress to impress. If you're good, you're good. It's not like we turned up in pyjamas. We're talking about SMU's interview where they stated 'Smart Casual", so suit is an overkill.
Tencharacters is offline   Reply With Quote