BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > University > Overseas > UK
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
darrenbkl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17
darrenbkl has a neutral reputation
Default Poly student applying to UK universities

Hi everyone I'm currently a third year Singapore Polytechnic student, studying EEE. I wish to apply to some UK uni but there is no source around for me to refer.. I wish the kind people here would enlighten me : )
I'm applying for EE course, still considering a few uni, but I have a few questions here.

1. This is my 5th semester and by the time UCAS application started on September I will have 5 semester results ready out of a total of 6, do I just apply with what I have on hand? Is it the way normally poly student apply?

2. In the UCAS application form what should I choose for my qualification?

3. What about the results, do I send them soft or hardcopy?

4. Is there any specific tutor/lecturer that I have to asked for referral letter?

5. Is it a must to submit IELTS result together with application form? I'm taking it next month.

Just these questions for the moment, I'm sorry but a lot of things puzzled me, hope someone would help me with this, thanks : )

Last edited by darrenbkl; 07-19-2010 at 04:53 AM.
darrenbkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #2
rui
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 564
rui has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenbkl View Post
Hi everyone I'm currently a third year Singapore Polytechnic student, studying EEE. I wish to apply to some UK uni but there is no source around for me to refer.. I wish the kind people here would enlighten me : )
I'm applying for EE course, still considering a few uni, but I have a few questions here.

1. This is my 5th semester and by the time UCAS application started on September I will have 5 semester results ready out of a total of 6, do I just apply with what I have on hand? Is it the way normally poly student apply?

2. In the UCAS application form what should I choose for my qualification?

3. What about the results, do I send them soft or hardcopy?

4. Is there any specific tutor/lecturer that I have to asked for referral letter?

5. Is it a must to submit IELTS result together with application form? I'm taking it next month.

Just these questions for the moment, I'm sorry but a lot of things puzzled me, hope someone would help me with this, thanks : )
1. I believe so.

2. "Singapore-Polytechnic Diploma". You need to find out if your polytechnic has a partnership with UCAS, where you can key in a Buzzcode to apply under your school. Then add modules. This will be a painstaking process from what I hear.

3. You key them in through UCAS. If you're accepted into any university, they may (or may not) ask for a hardcopy to be mailed over.

4. You could ask your polytechnic for more information on this. They may have their own regulations which requires/only allow certain tutors to write referrals. If no such pre-requisite, I suggest a tutor who knows you well, and is a subject expert in the course you are applying for.

5. You could use the GCE 'O' Levels English Language as evidence of your proficiency in the language. I believe that unless you do not meet the grade requirement, the IELTS is not required.
__________________
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK
rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
darrenbkl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17
darrenbkl has a neutral reputation
Default

Thanks Rui : )
I need to enter all the modules that I've studied one by one into the application form right?
Btw, what are the good uni for studying EE?

Last edited by darrenbkl; 07-19-2010 at 11:47 PM.
darrenbkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
rui
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 564
rui has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenbkl View Post
Thanks Rui : )
I need to enter all the modules that I've studied one by one into the application form right?
Btw, what are the good uni for studying EE?
Yes, all the modules.

I'm not a subject expert on your field of interest. However, I can offer you the following information:

From the Guardian University Guide 2011,

1. Southampton
2. Surrey
3. UCL
4. Essex
5. Glasgow
6. Edinburgh
7. Sheffield
8. Imperial College
9. Strathclyde
10. Nottingham

From The Complete University Guide 2011,

1. Cambridge
2. Southampton
3 Imperial College London
4. Surrey
5. Bristol
6. Sheffield
7. Bath
8. Edinburgh
9. Strathclyde
10. University College London

Do note that the different university rankings at best serve as a guide, and should not be taken in confidence of finality and definitive. They all operate on different methodologies and hence would churn out different rank tables. There are also more university rank tables out there which you ought to take with pinches, if not pounds, of salt.

I hope someone else comes forward to offer you a more personalised response.
__________________
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK

Last edited by rui; 07-20-2010 at 10:26 AM.
rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #5
darrenbkl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17
darrenbkl has a neutral reputation
Default

Will it be hard for a poly student to apply into prestigious schools like UCL, ICL or even Oxbridge?
darrenbkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Haecceity
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,448
Haecceity has a neutral reputation
Default

It's hard for A level students to get into those schools as well. I wouldn't say that it is any harder/easier for a poly student to get into UCL/ICL/Oxbridge. The best thing is to get good results and a good personal statement/teacher recommendation. Good luck!
__________________
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.
Haecceity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
GSC1989
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 408
GSC1989 has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Will it be hard for a poly student to apply into prestigious schools like UCL, ICL or even Oxbridge?
It's honestly not that hard to enter the first two universities you mentioned in your post for a top polytechnic student (compared to other prestigous universities). For imperial, they generally accept cases of students possessing a CGPA of more than 3.85~. However, switching faculties will not be possible unless it's a highly exceptional case (i.e engineering students with just mere excellent academic grades will not be able to gain entry into a business or computing course for example).

For UCL, I know of a friend being admitted into UCL despite not possessing a CoM. (was very close to CoM GPA range though, around 3.7 in engineering). UCL also allows cross-switching to another faculty to some degree for polytechnic students (with restrictions of course, still not possible for business students to enrol for science courses). By that extension, it's highly probable that it is easier for a polytechnic student to attain a place in UCL than an A level student (judging from comparison between difficulty of meeting UCL's A level cutoffs and diploma cutoffs).

Oxbridge is significantly much more difficult than the previous two to get into. UCL and imperial does give a lot of credit to polytechnic graduates though, perhaps much more than the other top universities :S. (personal opinion here).
__________________
Disclaimer: Any advice offered by myself or other moderators / forum members on this forum is just that - mere advice. Neither BrightSparks nor we give any illusion that the information provided is definitive, and take no responsibility for any consequences.

Forum viewers and users should be aware that there is a need to process and extract relevant information from posts objectively especially when opinions are involved.

Last edited by GSC1989; 08-22-2010 at 10:04 PM.
GSC1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
darrenbkl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17
darrenbkl has a neutral reputation
Default

thanks man for the info, I appreciate that a lot
I almost feel regretted like chosen the wrong path, as in between A level and diploma.

By the way, I'm currently doing EEE and going to apply for the same course. There are choices like BEng, MEng, and MSc. I'm going to pursue Master eventually, so would it be a good idea to just take MEng, or BEng + MSc? I don't really know the difference between them, but heard that MEng is a more promising degree?

Sorry for the trouble..What's considered to be a good reference? I think I need to discuss with my tutor on what to be included in the reference.

Last edited by darrenbkl; 08-23-2010 at 02:46 PM.
darrenbkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
innovator
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 73
innovator has a neutral reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenbkl View Post
thanks man for the info, I appreciate that a lot
I almost feel regretted like chosen the wrong path, as in between A level and diploma.

By the way, I'm currently doing EEE and going to apply for the same course. There are choices like BEng, MEng, and MSc. I'm going to pursue Master eventually, so would it be a good idea to just take MEng, or BEng + MSc? I don't really know the difference between them, but heard that MEng is a more promising degree?

Sorry for the trouble..What's considered to be a good reference? I think I need to discuss with my tutor on what to be included in the reference.
Hi... Im from SP EEE too... u r from DEEE or...? May I know ur gpa?
innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #10
darrenbkl
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 17
darrenbkl has a neutral reputation
Default

Hi, are you applying as well? yup I'm from DEEE and I've got 3.96 currently
darrenbkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.