BrightSparks Forum

Go Back   BrightSparks Singapore Scholarship & Higher Education Forum > Rate My Chances!
Click Here if you forgot your password.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
rui

rui has a neutral reputation
Default PLEASE READ: How to rate your own chances?

I notice that majority of the threads ask of only two things:

1) What is my UAS?
2) Can I get into xxx course? How about xxx course?

In order to streamline this forum and channel our time to answer higher-level questions, here is a simple guide on how you can Rate your own chances.

Step 1
Calculate your own UAS.

Local universities take into account all six subjects (3 H2, 3 H1; in a case of a student with 4 H2, the H2 with the worst grade will be directly converted to a H1 - i.e. a B in your 4th H2 will become a H1 B).

The subjects contribute to a University admission score.

Each H2 subject has a maximum of 20 points for an A, with a decrement of 2.5 points for each grade (i.e. A-20; B-17.5; C-15 etc.).

Each H1 subject has a maximum of 10 points for an A, with a decrement of 1.25 points for each grade (i.e. A-10, B-8.75; C-7.5 etc.)

Effectively H1 is "halve" the H2. Hence, with straight A's in all 6 subjects, one can attain the maximum of (20 + 20 + 20 + 10 + 10 + 10) 90 points.

If you have taken MTL, you can determine whether inclusion of your MTL increases your overall UAS. If it does, leave it. Otherwise, stick to the pre-MTL UAS. Simply add the point equivalent of your MTL grade, (then it should be out of 100 now), and base it back to 90. If that is higher than your original UAS, good for you. Otherwise, ignore it.

Compare your UAS to the IGP
View this thread.
Compare your UAS to the cut-offs of the courses you're interested in.

If your UAS is well above (2.5 difference or higher), you're safe, and ought to get in.

If your UAS is 1.25 lower, equal, or 1.25 higher, to the course in question, you are pretty much on the borderline. Hence, depending on the competitiveness of the cohort applying this year, you may or may not obtain entry.

If your UAS falls short (2.5 difference or higher), you most likely will not obtain entry with pure grades alone. You should consider applying through Discretionary Admissions. Click here to find out more about Discretionary Admissions.
Generally,
Quote:
We set aside up to 10 % of vacancies for consideration of exceptional candidates for admission to NUS. For such candidates, we will consider other factors besides grades. The following are some samples of exceptional achievements that we may take into consideration :

Medal winner at the International Olympiads (Biology, Chemistry, Informatics, Mathematics and Physics)
Winner in the National Science & Talent Search
Represented Singapore in Arts and/or Sports
Active participation in community service and volunteer programmes.
Work experience relevant to the course applied for (supporting document/s is/are required)
Key leadership positions in community organisations, sports and athletic clubs, etc (outside school)

In addition, you can provide information on awards/honours that you have won. If you wish to be considered under this scheme, you should provide the details in the 'Discretionary Admissions' section in the online application form. You should then follow up by sending supporting documents to NUS. Please note that if the 'Discretionary Admissions' section in the online application form is not filled in, you will be deemed as not interested for consideration under this scheme.
Conclusion
Please only create a new thread if you haven't already answered your own question. As much as possible, please rate your own chances.
Nota bene: What I say reflects purely my own opinion; it may not be definitive, and in no way representative of BrightSparks. Do exercise your own discretion in assimilating the information in coming up with your own opinions and decisions.

Local Moderator - UK
Closed Thread